Monday, February 21, 2011

Gnome MPlayer on Windows

One of the small tasks I've been working on is to get Gnome MPlayer to cross compile to Windows. A few people have asked for it, and while I admit it has not been high on my priority list, it has been something I've been interested in seeing how it was done.

The only way I have tested it so far is by cross compiling it on Fedora and then running it under Wine. I have to say that it actually works pretty decent. Notice in the screen shot that the VO is directx and the AO is dsound.
gnome-mplayer-win32 running under Wine on Fedora 14
To cross compile I installed the mingw32 packages on Fedora.
I checked out the gnome-mplayer source code
Ran configure like this  ./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32
Ran make

I then ran the executable under wine. Probably the trickiest part was getting the gtk icons in the right spot

I ended up symlinking the system themes into the mingw32 GTK directories

cd /usr/i686-pc-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/share
ln -s /usr/share/icons/ .
ln -s /usr/share/themes/ .

After that was done, it seemed to work like normal, minus the dbus, gpod and musicbrainz integration.

So if you have a complete mingw32 environment setup on Windows, you should be able to cross compile gnome-mplayer and then point it to a windows mplayer executable and it should work.

1 comment:

Vincent said...

Hello, Thank you for your hints, but I still have many problems with compiling it on Windows.So I wonder that is it possible for you to send me the binary execution file? I am only a normal user and find that gnome-mplayer is very useful.
Regards,